19 February 2012

Busy knitting and spinning

Since my last post, I've done quite a lot on my various knitting and spinning projects. I have a bit of 'start-itis' at the moment - I keep reading about a challenge or spin-along in the different groups on Ravelry that I follow, and I think "That sounds fun", temporarily forgetting all the other things that I'm working on.

To start with something that I've actually finished: my Magic Mirror socks are done at last. This was the first 'real' yarn I spun, and I'm so glad that I was able to make something nice with it.

Next, a challenge that I did for one of the Ravelry groups I'm in. The challenge was to find something in your stash that you had been putting off spinning because you were afraid of what to do with it, and spin it. I chose a really lumpy glittery batt that I won as a prize a few months ago. I'd been thinking about core spinning it, but was a bit afraid to tackle it, so I decided that this was the time.

I was originally going to use some crochet cotton for the core, but at someone elses suggestion I instead used some white boucle yarn. Having some texture for the core was helpful, but it made the end result quite thick. The batt was very lumpy and bumpy, and I didn't do much to mix things up, so my end result is also lumpy and bumpy. It's very pretty, although I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

I did end up quite enjoying dealing with the wild batt, although next time I think I will go to more effort to tear it up a bit more to try to make it smoother to spin.

I made a bit more progress on spinning a sweaters worth of yarn from Southern Cross Fibres. I now have 3 braids spun, with two more still to do.

I was originally planning on doing a bit more spinning on this project on the weekend, but I am partway through another Ravelry group challenge, to spin some boucle. (For those that don't know, this is a 'loopy' yarn made by spinning with one strand as the core and the second strand forming the loops, then adding a third strand to lock it all together). Traditionally it's made with mohair, but I'm using Wensleydale for the core and the loops and embroidery thread for the locking thread. Making the loops is incredibly slow, so it will take me a few more days before my spinning wheel is free again.

No comments:

Post a Comment